Create a Daemon using Linux
This ReadMe as well as the template to install a Daemon using Linux can also be found inside the installation package in the following folder:
systemd pap service usage/installation example
note: Requires root permissions
note: the systemd specific privateTemp setting *must not* be used inside the service description
note: the whole <install_dir> path including all higher level directories need to have at least read-and-execute permissions
Recommendation: unpack the installer below a non-userspecific directory (such as e.g. /opt)
note: a --cachefolder option *must* be used, *even* if the user executing the service actually has a home directory
note: the <install_dir> must be owned by the user executing the service. For example if /opt/callas/pdfaPilot-CLI is used as <install_dir>, then the appropriate chown command would be
sudo chown -R nobody:daemon /opt/callas/pdfaPilot-CLI
note: the same applies to the cachefolder.
(1) cp systemd.pap.service.template to pap.service (locally)
(2) edit pap.service and adjust the given path specs (e.g. INSTALL_DIR --> real installation directory)
(3) setup a cache folder (note: must be owned/writable by the executing user, e.g. by running 'sudo chown nobody:daemon <given_cache_folder>')
(4) copy the service description to the systemd service directory
sudo cp pap.service to /lib/systemd/system
note: /lib/systemd/system/pap.service must be a regular file and *not* a symbolic link
note: 'sudo systemctl daemon-reload' is needed whenever /lib/systemd/system/pap.service is changed
(5) check if the service is working as expected ...
sudo systemctl daemon-reload sudo systemctl start pap systemctl status pap sudo systemctl stop pap systemctl status pap sudo systemctl restart pap systemctl status pap
(6) when everyting is working as excpected ...
(7) set pap service to auto start on reboot
sudo systemctl enable pap
now, when the system reboots next time it will automatically also start the pdfaPilot in --server mode.
(8) to disable the pap service on next reboot...
sudo systemctl disable pap