Displaying program information – Hints and troubleshooting
Displaying program information
Display program version
will display the currently used version of pdfToolbox CLI.
Display usage information
will give you a complete overview about all available commands for processing.
will give you an overview about all available options for the command.
will inform you about the current license state as well as the possible return and reason codes (see "Results").
Hints and troubleshooting
Ensure sufficient free disk space
To ensure stable processing, it is recommended to have at least 4 times of the input file size of processed files available for intermediate file system storage (e.g. /tmp on Unix and similar on other systems).
Avoid stopping workflows on Windows
On Windows, you can prevent your workflow from stopping in case of a pdfToolbox CLI crash by setting the following registry entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\ Windows\ ErrorMode
If ErrorMode is set to "2”, crash dialogs will be suppressed. For further details, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/128642/en-us?fr=1
Limiting the maximum memory used by pdfToolbox
Using Linux, you can limit the amount of memory used by a single process by an additional parameter:
--maxmemory=<max. memory in MB>
Processing will stop and result in an error if memory is exceeded.
If you want to enhance the performance of your pdfToolbox CLI processes, please keep in mind the following rules:
• For analysis, you can limit processing to a certain page range (see "Only process certain pages").
• Rather remove fixups from a profile only intended for analysis than using --analyze (e.g. when using --analyse, initialization of ICC profiles for color conversion fixups still takes place).
• Fixups containing an "Apply to” option need more processing time if this option is set to something else but "None”, since an analysis of the file contents is required before the fixup can be executed.
• If you are using any font embedding fixups, your system font folder will be scanned unless defined otherwise in the fixup configuration. A font cache will be created to improve the performance time, but still it might be useful to remove fonts that are not needed from this directory.
• Keep in mind that the option --uncompressimg (see "Analyze image data") will uncompress images and analyze every single pixel, which may take a long time for some files.
• Creation of XML or PDF reports takes less time than the XSLT option
(see "Report types").
• Creation of reports takes additional time – even if a profile contains only fixups, an analysis will be executed for gathering report information.
Optimization of needed installation space
To reduce the pace needed by the installation of pdfToolbox, it is possible to delete some subfolders of the CLI component (in subfolder /cli) if their respective functions are not needed in the individual use case.
To avoid processing errors or unexpected behaviour of pdfToolbox any modification should be done well-considered.
||If no Arrange action is used
||If no font embedding or PDF/A conversion is used (or if font situation is clear)
||If no layer/image mask report is used
||If no preflight certification is used
||If no color conversion is used
||If no PDF report based on HTML template is used
||If no inventory report is used
||If no e-mails are processed
||If no Office-files are processed
||If no PostScript-files are processed
||If no PDF/A-HTML Report or ZUGFeRD is used
||If no tagged PDF to HTML/EPUB export is used
||If no archive files are processed
||If no Comparison is used